New Build

Our New Build Insurance policy is designed for people building their own homes either independently, via a custom build model with an enabling developer, or as part of a community-led development, irrespective of their actual physical level of involvement.

HBR barn converions image.jpg

Get the Right Cover In Place

We believe you should have the best possible New Build Insurance solution for your project, which is why our products have in-built flexibility and realistic levels of cover.  You will find that Self-Build Zone's Site Insurance packages offer many options of cover.

How the New Build Site Insurance Policy Works

The policy covers the project from the point you assume responsibility on a plot or property that is to be demolished (where you have a liability exposure) and continues whilst you are sorting out the planning.  As works start, the policy responds by covering the work in progress and materials. It is quite likely that you will have plant, tools and equipment on site or maybe even a residential caravan, so these can be covered if you need it.


Accidents do happen. People working on site, whether it be family, friends or third-party contractors, do get injured and that is an unfortunate fact. Obviously, we try to minimise the risk by making health and safety information available but it is very important that both you and they are adequately protected.  This is why we also include Public Liability and Employers’ Liability cover.

Perhaps Your Contractor Is Insured?

Remember that relying on your contractor or tradesman's insurance cover may not always be the correct course of action.  Many contractors only have Public Liability cover which is not sufficient as no one is taking full responsibility for the work in progress. Note that Public Liability Insurance only covers negligent acts and it is sometimes a very lengthy and costly process to prove this.

 Make sure you actually see an original policy, not a photocopy, and more importantly, check the limits and sums insured.


We recognise that every project is different so we provide various types of policies ranging from 12 months to 24 months, after which short-period policies of 3, 6, or 9 months are available should you need more time. The 12-month option allows you to specify the areas and cover levels that you require for your project.  Quotes for these options are available online.


Remember, a nearly completed new-build that is badly damaged by fire, whether accidental or caused by vandalism, is a serious loss that doesn't bear thinking about - so don't leave it to chance.

Legal Expenses Insurance Cover

New build projects can be complex affairs due to the diversity of trades working on site and the variety of risks and exposures.


We have many years of experience helping our clients when things go wrong, what the major issues are and what causes clients the most stress. Not using properly written contracts, without a doubt, causes more problems and upset than anything else. Without a contract, you cannot prove the terms of engagement with professionals, contractors or suppliers, and therefore establishing a breach of contract, which is a requirement in order to recover a claim under a Legal Expenses policy, is difficult.


People have lost large amounts of money because they failed to use properly written contracts. When it comes to claims without proof of a contract, it is difficult to establish your loss. By making proper use of our contract wordings it would be very difficult for third parties to escape liability and the Legal Expenses insurance will back this up. That is why with our contract package, we give you unlimited use of the contract wordings.


We back this up with the addition of Legal Expense cover, which is provided as standard with all of our Site Insurance policies (excluding Developers Insurance).


If a dispute should arise the legal helpline is there to provide you with essential advice to enable you to pursue a contractual dispute claim where there is a good chance of success (terms and conditions apply).


By correctly using our contract templates, you should have the necessary proof of the basis of the contract which will hopefully enable a swift conclusion of any dispute.

Need a Structural Warranty?

A Self-Build Zone 10 Year Structural Warranty is one of the best ways to protect your project against the effect a major structural defect could have. Should you wish to sell the property at some point in the future, a Self-Build Zone 10 Year Structural Warranty will give you the peace of mind that the building was completed professionally and that it is covered by a lender-approved warranty.

HBR barn converions image.jpg