Structural Warranty


Self-Build Zone 10-Year Structural Warranty

The Self-Build Zone 10-Year Structural Warranty offers self-builders a comprehensive warranty to protect their builds. Our Self Build Warranty is a rebranded version of the Build-Zone Warranty and is specifically designed for new-builds, conversions, extensions and completed properties too – ​Our team will review all projects seeking a Completed Housing Structural warranty on a case-by-case basis.

​Our Structural Warranty is a 10-year building warranty which is backed by A-Rated insurers only for complete peace of mind. The Self Build Structural Warranty offers a much better alternative to Architect Certification and is similar to other popular warranty products including NHBC. Build-Zone is constantly going through the process of lender approval and is a Lloyd’s of London Coverholder.

​​Our Self Build Warranty has been specifically designed with you in mind as we know the problems you can face and the speed at which you want to get moving and resolve problems.

Download files

What is a Structural Warranty?

A structural warranty is a type of insurance which protects new builds against structural defects. This could be anything from a newly built house, to a conversion or extension project. A standard structural warranty is usually a 10-year period of cover, but longer warranties are available.

Why do I need a Structural Warranty?

Apart from the peace of mind you gain by having the Self-Build Zone Structural Warranty, most lenders will probably require a building warranty as part of their lending criteria. It’s also useful if your circumstances change and you need to sell the property in the next 10 years, as you will likely find that your prospective purchaser’s lender will require a 10-year Structural Warranty on the property before releasing any money.

​When it comes to conversions and extensions, a structural warranty is needed to allow you to make your house a home without any risks. Customisng your home should be a fun project and of course, can come with stress, so don’t let insurance be added to your list of things to worry about! With a self-build warranty, your structure will be covered from the workmanship to the materials.

Summary of Cover

What does the Self Build Structural Warranty Cover?

The insurers will indemnify the policyholder against claims discovered and notified to the underwriter during the period of insurance in respect of:

1) The cost of complete or partial rebuilding or rectifying work to the housing unit which has been affected by major damage attributable to a defect in the design, workmanship or materials, provided that the liability of the insurers does not exceed the reasonable cost of rebuilding each housing unit to its original specification.

​2) The cost of making good any defect in the design, workmanship or material in the drainage system which was newly constructed by the builder in connection with the housing unit and for which the policyholder is responsible.

​3) The necessary and reasonable costs incurred in repairing, replacing or rectifying any part of the waterproof envelope within the housing unit as a result of ingress of water caused by a defect in the design, workmanship, materials or components of the waterproofing elements of the housing unit.

​Is a Self Build Warranty different to an Architect Certification?

​Yes. A structural warranty is a much more thorough and comprehensive type of cover, and offers a 10-year warranty on a self-built structure – new build, extension or conversion.

​An Architect’s certificate only provides cover in the event that you are able to establish negligence by the architect, and has limits to its cover.

Do not rely on an architect’s certificate as this will only provide cover in the event you are able to establish negligence by the architect, which will be covered under their Professional Indemnity insurance but only for a period of six years, and it will not cover workmanship or defective materials.

The Self-Build Zone structural warranty applies for a period of 10 years and will respond straight away as a ‘prime’ policy. The insurers will then take recovery action against those responsible.

Structural Warranty vs Architect Certificate

An architect certificate does not offer the same level of cover as a Structural Warranty and runs for a shorter time. An architect certificate only lasts for a period of 6 years, only covers your new home against defects in design and does not include workmanship or materials (where most structural claims arise).

Survey Options

With Building Control

Many people are unaware that you do not need to use your local authority building control (LABC) to obtain building regulation approval or carry out building control inspections. We can arrange this for you through an independent network of ‘partnered’ approved inspectors.

This has many advantages:

  • After initial notification, your surveyor can be on site normally within five working days at the key stages throughout the course of the build.
  • You will have a nominated surveyor looking after your project from start to finish which will enable open communication.
  • A formal plan check is carried out along with checking calculations. Should any problems arise, they will be highlighted in a report.
  • The surveyors are highly qualified and experienced individuals who are used to working with self-build projects.
  • By combining building control with our technical audit inspections, you will save time.
  • Improved risk management.
Without Building Control

If you have already made your building regulation application to the local authority or an approved inspector, then you will need to request a warranty ‘without building control’. We then arrange for a suitable schedule of technical audits to be carried out during the project’s duration alongside the local authority building control inspector. Please note, you will still need to allow us a minimum five days’ notice from initial notification and arrange visits throughout the course of the build.

Call the Build-Zone Team
01843 603345
Contact Us

Have you arranged your Site Insurance?

Most people think their builder will have insurance to cover their build but this often isn’t the case. Site insurance protects you, your project, existing structures and the people you bring on site throughout the whole build process until completion